Molecular Diagnostics Staff prepare for the return of Avian Influenza
The University of Minnesota Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory was central to the response to avian influenza in the spring of 2015.
Breaking Ground at the MPTL
The Minnesota Poultry Testing Laboratory, a part of the UMN VDL located in Willmar Minnesota, broke ground on a major expansion project.
Seneca Valley Virus
Dr. Doug Marthaler, Dr. Fabio Vannucci and Jan Shivers are working at the VDL to unravel the mysteries of this virus.
Technology assists ID of bacteria
Staff in the Bacteriology Laboratory and the Laboratory for Udder Health use the MALDI-TOF to help speed identification of bacterial isolates.
FY15 Procedures by species
The University of Minnesota Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory conducted over 1.3 million procedures in fiscal year 2015.
The University of Minnesota Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory (VDL) serves veterinarians, scientists, educators, companion animal owners, and the livestock and poultry industry by identifying and monitoring emerging diseases and developing new diagnostic methods.
Fully accredited by the American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians, the VDL provides quality diagnostic services for all animal species, including necropsy, bacteriology, clinical chemistry, electron microscopy, serology, endocrinology, histopathology, immunohistochemistry, virology, parasitology, molecular diagnostics, and toxicology.
A national leader in protecting animal and human health, the full-service laboratories at the VDL performs some 1.4 million procedures annually.
As part of the University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine, the VDL trains future diagnosticians and veterinarians. The VDL is Minnesota’s only full-service laboratory for animal health diagnosis and is the official laboratory of the Minnesota Board of Animal Health.
Avian Influenza Outbreak
- Latest news: HPAI H7N8 detected in Indiana turkey flock
- What to do if you have sick birds
- VDL Avian Influenza testing schedule
- More information on Avian Influenza
- NEWS: Gene edited pigs protected from PRRS
- VDL develops antibody test for Seneca Valley Virus
- Change in policy - Access to Necropsy labs
- Information on Seneca Valley Virus
- USDA Recommendations for Swine with Potential Vesicular Disease
- Link to 2015 Leman Conference Presentations
- Updated submission forms available for udder heath
- SECD Information
- MVMA Dairy Cows and the Copper Conundrum Presentation
- Antimicrobial Resistance information
- More news & announcements