Laboratory for Udder Health (LUH)
News & Updates
Shipping Notice, 10/7/2021
LUH clients are currently experiencing shipping delays, for packages sent to and from the lab. Because most shipments are time sensitive, we recommend the following shipping practices to avoid problems. We will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates as needed.
For samples sent to the LUH:
- Ship samples to the lab Monday through Wednesday, with expected arrival no later than Thursday, using 2-day or overnight delivery. This allows a 1 day buffer for delays and ensures samples do not arrive on the weekend.
- Check with your preferred shipper for current advice on which shipping option to select and/or best day to ship to ensure timely arrival.
- The VDL offers a UPS Shipping Program, including a reliable option for Next Day Air.
- Note for Speedee users: Speedee is experiencing a driver shortage and may not have a consistent pick up schedule from week to week. Call SpeeDee directly to ensure timely pickup and delivery, 320-251-6697.
- Ensure samples are packed properly with insulation and plenty of ice packs.
For culture plate or supply orders from the LUH:
- Stay on top of your inventory and order early to avoid running out of necessary items.
- Place orders early in the week for shipping Monday or Tuesday, or order the week before. Note some orders may not ship the same day orders are placed.
- If items are needed urgently, request FedEx overnight shipping (Monday through Thursday).
LUH Test Information, 8/18/2021
Sample submission best practices, fees and other important information about each test can now be found by searching Service: “Udder Health” on the Services & Fees page.
Fee Updates, 7/1/2021
The Lab for Udder Health will begin charging a $10 accession fee, effective July 1, 2021. The revenue from this fee will support important lab infrastructure including receiving, accounting, administration, information technology, and our robust quality control and quality assurance program. All other laboratory sections in the UMN Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory charge the same accession fee.
We are also taking this opportunity to reduce the price of many of our other testing fees to better reflect our costs. In addition, we are now offering volume pricing for full mastitis cultures, and have added two new discounted panels for troubleshooting high bulk milk bacteria counts.
We appreciate your business and value your feedback. Please take a few minutes to complete this client satisfaction survey to let us know how we can better serve you. To thank you for your time, you will have a chance at the end of the survey to enter a drawing for one of three $45 gift cards.