The search for a virus
When is a virus a virus? How scientists determine what is a virus.
Airborne transmission determined in swine influenza
Research at four affected pig farms shows presence in air samples
Researchers develop first-of-its-kind PEDv test
A quick and cost effective method to determine the presence of PEDv strains
The University of Minnesota Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory (VDL) serves veterinarians, scientists, educators, companion animal owners, and the livestock and poultry industry by identifying and monitoring emerging diseases and developing new diagnostic methods.
Fully accredited by the American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians, the VDL provides quality diagnostic services for all animal species, including necropsy, bacteriology, clinical chemistry, electron microscopy, serology, endocrinology, histopathology, immunohistochemistry, virology, parasitology, molecular diagnostics, and toxicology.
A national leader in protecting animal and human health, the full-service laboratories at the VDL performs some 1.4 million procedures annually.
As part of the University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine, the VDL trains future diagnosticians and veterinarians. The VDL is Minnesota’s only full-service laboratory for animal health diagnosis and is the official laboratory of the Minnesota Board of Animal Health.
In need of animal care?
Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
College of Veterinary Medicine
University of Minnesota
1333 Gortner Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55108-1098
- Effective immediately, serology will no longer offer Toxoplasma gondii latex agglutination test in serum samples of caprine, ovine, feline and swine species. The test kit has been discontinued by the manufacturer. Please contact us for information on which laboratories offer this test.
- Swine Enteric Coronavirus Disease (SECD) direct link
- SECD Situation report
- Distinct Characteristics and Complex Evolution of PEDV Strains, North America
- Managing and Reporting Swine Enteric Coronavirus Disease (SECD) via Minnesota Board of Animal Health
- Tularemia confirmed in Dakota County MN feline
- Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea Virus (PEDV) PIN Tags for Breeding Stock
- Porcine epidemic diarrhea virus (PEDV) and Delta coronavirus: USDA fact sheet and frequently asked questions
- Emerging infectious diseases
- PEDV fact sheet
- NAHLN update on PEDV
- Swine Health Monitoring Project
- Media stories
- Porcine epidemic diarrhea virus information.
- MVMA 2014 bovine updates
- More news