Packing & shipping
- Label each specimen with the owner's last name and the animal's name/number.
- Clearly distinguish acute samples from convalescent samples.
- Label serology tubes in numerical and consecutive order (1, 2, 3, etc.)
- Place the tubes into the serum boxes in the order corresponding to the test charts.
- Do not send specimens in hypodermic syringes.
- Samples shipped in cardboard boxes should be placed in a waterproof liner and sealed tightly to prevent leakage.
- If shipping fluid specimens in self-sealing plastic bags, double bag each specimen to avoid leakage.
- Ship frozen or refrigerated material in a properly insulated container, clearly marked on the outside as a frozen/refrigerated laboratory specimen.
- Use gel packs for a refrigerant (never use wet ice).
- Enclose the submittal form(s) in a waterproof bag and place it on top of the specimens in the shipping container.
- Shipping by overnight courier is preferred.
- The sender is responsible for postage or special delivery charges
Saturday Deliveries (UPS & FedEx)
Although we aren’t open for testing, you can still ship your samples to us for Saturday delivery. We’ll have someone here to make sure they’re stored correctly until we can process them on Monday morning.
Please use either FedEx or UPS. We do not recommend using the United States Postal Service for diagnostic samples.
Please ship to:
Veterinary Diagnostic Lab
1333 Gortner Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55108
Use our new UPS Shipping Program to print your own label from home!
Evening and Weekend Drop-Offs
Samples may be submitted anytime outside of regular VDL business hours at the Veterinary Medical Center (VMC):
Veterinary Medical Center
1365 Gortner Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55108
The VMC is open 24/7 and will refrigerate your samples until we collect them at the start of the following business day. Please be sure to bring a completed VDL submission form with your samples when you drop off after hours. This will help us expedite your case.