Packing & Shipping
- Label each specimen with the owner's last name and the animal's name/number.
- Clearly distinguish acute samples from convalescent samples.
- Label serology tubes in numerical and consecutive order (1, 2, 3, etc.)
- Place the tubes into the serum boxes in the order corresponding to the test charts.
- Do not send specimens in hypodermic syringes.
- Samples shipped in cardboard boxes should be placed in a waterproof liner and sealed tightly to prevent leakage.
- If shipping fluid specimens in self-sealing plastic bags, double bag each specimen to avoid leakage.
- Ship frozen or refrigerated material in a properly insulated container, clearly marked on the outside as a frozen/refrigerated laboratory specimen.
- Use gel packs for a refrigerant (never use wet ice).
- Enclose the submittal form(s) in a waterproof bag and place it on top of the specimens in the shipping container.
- Shipping by overnight courier is preferred.
- The sender is responsible for postage or special delivery charges
The UMN VDL is now partnering with UPS to provide a consistent, reliable and affordable shipping option for VDL clients.
Please see the page linked below.
Samples may be submitted anytime outside of regular VDL business hours at the Veterinary Medical Center (VMC) address:
Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
c/o Veterinary Medical Center Emergency Receiving
College of Veterinary Medicine
University of Minnesota
1365 Gortner Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55108
The VMC is open 24/7 and will refrigerate samples to be delivered to the VDL at the start of the following business day.
For Saturday deliveries, please use either FedEx or UPS. Do NOT use the United States Postal Service.